Electrophoretic coloring of fish hooks

(2001)

I'm looking for a way to color fish hooks. I have heard of a Electrophoretic process that is capable of just about any color.

Will the fish hooks present too many problems with contact points in plating and oven curing?

I would like to gain information as to the feasibility of this process working on fish hooks.

Any info would be appreciated

Jerry Easton
fishing tackle - Denver, Colorado

(2005)

Jerry: you might want to check with metal finishing companies about a way to work a "low temp. anodizing process" (alum. and sheet steel can come in many colors, after all) into your fishhook's final production process(s) to keep the"claws" sharp point and barb. that helped me on a Scout overnighter (camping at nice man's farm just past valley forge Pa.) between breakfast & lunch I caught, and tossed back, 57 bluegills and three two an a half or three pound trout/that I was happy to let our Scoutmaster give the farm owner!. After all he had personally stocked his lil' lake with them twenty(20) years earlier and had not seen any since the bass & bluegills took over, soon after. he was very happy when I pointed to the spot down stream from the dam, where a tree had fallen in(almost all the way!) forming a nice eddy/pool in the creek's curve.. A note to all "fish'n type" reading this: a log down in water,but still anchored on bank "spells hungry fish"!. it did for me; in a high mountain stream in Idaho/the yellowstone river, jus'down from "fish'n bridge" and even this stream from a small lake(also in 1962-63, from the Potomac river by Ft. Belvoir! two 3 pounder brown trout, sorry Gen. Schwartzcroft)

Charles E Love III
- Alexandria,VA, U.S.A.

Hi, Jerry. I don't see any special reason you can't electrophoretically color the fish hooks, and it sounds like a good application. While there may be some handling problems because of the fish hooks' tendency to nest, I'm sure that between your experience and that of some local parts feeder engineers you'll get it all going.