Refinishing of old Wood and Leather Trunk

(2001)

I am trying to refinish an old trunk. I found some information on this subject already posted. However, my trunk has wooden slats, leather stripping, and steel hardware. How do I clean each? I know the de-natured alcohol should be used on the wood, but the leather, etc. Also, I guess the rest is canvas covered.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sue Taylor
- Pocatello, Idaho, USA

(2002)

Just wash down the metal and leather w /warm water. The canvas was always glued w / animal glue, which is water soluble. I always used a wet sponge and a scraper if the canvas just couldn't be cut out. Keep your sanding at a minimum. Recently, I've been refinishing w/ a colonial maple stain. All hardware painted w/ a semi-gloss black. This keeps it simple, and is a great look.

James R Smedley
- Long Branch, New Jersey