Copper Deposition on Stainless Steel

(2001)

I have a very odd question, how does the plating process appear visually for different bath composition? Does it start in spots or is it a wave? Also, I have been reading a lot of papers, they talk about an induction time. What do they refer to?

If anyone out there can help me I would really appreciate it.

Stephanie T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Tallahassee, Florida, USA

(2001)

Hi, Stephanie. In 40 years in the industry I've never heard the term 'induction time', so I don't know what it means.

A number of papers have been written on the initiation of the plating process, and how the deposited atoms (adatoms) at first try to mirror the structure of the substrate, but soon are forced into the crystal structure native to the metal being deposited. I believe a few AESF Research Projects were directed at this subject as well, and SEMs are available in many of these papers.

Extremely thin coatings are really invisible, so, to the naked eye, the plating just gradually becomes visible over the whole surface, very much like dusk or dawn; it neither looks like measles, nor like a half-painted wall.