Home remedy for cleaning brass

(2001)

Does anyone know home recipe I could use to clean the base of a brass lamp?

June Laubach
- Nazareth, Pennsylvania, USA

(2001)

An inherent characteristic of brass is that it tarnishes. So, if this lamp was polished brass, it would have had a lacquer finish at some time, which you may have to remove and restore.

But what I would probably do if it was mine is to attempt to polish it with Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. If it didn't work, I would assume I wasn't reaching the brass due to the lacquer, and I would use a lacquer thinner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], then try again. But, as mentioned, after restoration it will quickly tarnish again if you do not lacquer it.

(2004)

This may sound crazy but you have to try it in order to polish and remove the tarnish you rub ketchup... yes try it and see

Sonia
- Los Angeles, California, USA

(2005)

To clean brass or copper:mix vinegar and table salt together and rub with a piece of cloth.Works great! And it's easy!After cleaning if you like to give it a better finish,apply Nevr-Dull [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. WOW!

Marie Harding
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

September 3, 2013 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I have followed the instructions to the letter but when I try to clean brass it comes out darker and tarnished can anyone help.

Alan Beech
- Hull, England

A. Hi Alan. As you see, we appended your question to a similar thread. We have about 100 threads about cleaning brass just on this site, and there are obviously countless other sites. So, unfortunately, telling us that you followed the instructions doesn't actually tell us what you did, or whether you're talking about a solid brass bell, or a brass plated bed, or an aluminum shower door or fiberglass garden figure that just looks like brass.

Please tell us what you are trying to clean, how you know it's brass, and what you tried. Thanks!