Want satin finish on Stainless Kickplate

(2001)

I have installed a stainless steel kickplate on my outside entrance door. I would like to change the finish to what is described to me as a #4 finish.(No. 4 finish is typical 150-180 grit (satin) finish. Much like the stainless steel shutter found on 3.5" floppy diskette.) Presently it is a bit too brite. Might I be able to do this using a belt sander, or even by hand?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Wallace Abel
- Ventnor, New Jersey

July , 2008

Hi, Wallace. Yes, you can do that with a belt sander. In fact, that's how it's done in industry. But not a long slow sanding; with a quick "scritch" from a large belt (bigger than the part). To do that with a home-sized sander (and I haven't done it), I think you'd need to align the sander diagonally so it covers the whole height of the kickplate, then quickly drag it across the length. It might work the first time, or just make a mess the first ten tries :-)