23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Electrolytic colouring of titanium jewelry?

(2001)

Dear Finishers,

I would like to start using titanium in my jewelry but until now only used heat treatment and would like to give electrolytic colouring a go. I have a small electroplating unit that I use for gold and silver plating. Can anybody tell me how and what to use for colouring titanium.

Yvon Smits
Goudsmid Yvon Smits - Nelson , New Zealand

(2001)

Hello Yvon!

I knew I'd answered a similar question not too long ago, so I did a finishing.com search on "titanium". The vast majority of the hits were from the forum on just your question. Perhaps sometime when Ted is bored (Hah!) he'll throw them all into a FAQ.

My answer was found in Question 8981. There are a lot of others as well, but I think mine's the best, of course.

Have fun, and enjoy the pretty blue!

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist