Organic Pigment help!

(2001)

Q. I'm looking for a flat black paint that uses an organic pigment to use outdoors on aluminum. I understand that carbon black is a carcinogen, are there any other options?

Matthew Watson
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
outdated

(2001)

A. Carbon Black is NOT a carcinogen. Carbon Black is the paint and coatings industry name for pure carbon.

Carbon Black, also called Activated charcoal, is approved as a drug, for use as a poison antidote.

The reason Carbon Black cannot be used for Cosmetics is quite interesting, but also long and involved. The short answer is that we couldn't prove that it was NOT a carcinogen, so the FDA banned it's use in cosmetics. (It's almost impossible to prove a negative)

It is perfectly safe to use for coatings, but it's really messy to work with. (Another name for carbon black is Soot. Yup, the stuff that comes from candle flames) It's the most UV stable black material other than Black Iron Oxide that I'm aware of. Black dyes tend to fade quickly.

Unless you are making kitchen utensils, I would not give the carcinogenicity of carbon black a second thought.

Robert Zonis
- Bohemia, New York

RFQ: I am looking for electrically conductive carbon black for making paints(PU) conductive and antistatic. I would like to know the supplier of this material.

Q. I would also like to know any other filler used to PU paints to make it conductive. What maximum percentage of these fillers can be added into the paint.

Kavitha Rao
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India
outdated

----
Readers: our advertisers make this site possible for technical information exchange & camaraderie; they will contact the inquirers privately regarding any commercial needs. Please appreciate that the site would drown in spam overnight if we posted offers to sell from people paying nothing.