Chrome care / chrome look electroplating

(2001)

I have a 1985 Mercedes. The previous owner let bugs accumulate on the fender, and now there are little nicks (I don't think they qualify as pitting) all along the chrome.

What is the best way to improve the look of the chrome short of getting it replated. (I'm a poor graduate student). Are there abrasive polishes which will even out the metal?

Also I saw an ad for a chrome-look electroplating kit? I've read the faq; I know that I can't just chrome my own pieces; so what is this stuff? Does it work well? I'm sure that there are many brands, but here's an example. www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=4541

Sorry to be so commercial.

Thanks for your help,

Abby Vigneron
- Davis, California

(2001)

Those marks you see where the bugs were are probably pits. The best you can do easily is to keep the chrome well waxed. The kits probably contain cobalt plating solution rather than chrome; possibly you could cobalt plate your bumper, or a portion of it, but I don't think I would if it were mine.