Rust lacquered wrought iron?

(2001)

I saw a wrought iron dining table that I'm interested in buying, but I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into with respect to finishing it before I do.

It is rusted. I've seen some stuff that is lacquered rust, and I've heard that you can just lacquer over the rust. I like that look, but my husband is concerned that it will still continue to rust underneath. Is he right or is this feasible? If it's not, how much trouble is it to get the rust off? And is there a faux finish that will give it the rust lacquered look?

Cathren Page Koehlert
- Wimberley, Texas, USA

(2001)

I'm not an expert, but I think in order to rust, the metal would have to be exposed to oxygen... so I don't think the rusting would continue. But since nothing will bond very well to rust, to be durable you might need a lot of coats.

Adam Weston
- Northridge, CA, United States