23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Copper sulphate for weed control in lakes

(2001)

I want to know if copper sulfate [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] can be used to kill weeds in lakes and whether or not it will harm fish, etc. I was told to use this to control the weeds and I wanted to make sure it was safe.

Denise S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Bay City, Michigan, USA

(2001)

Yes, copper sulphate is widely used to kill weeds in lakes. We can't ask the fish what they think of it, so 'safe' is a matter of experience and judgement.

I know little about weed control in lakes, but it would surprise me if you did not need a permit from the state EPA before dosing a lake with copper sulphate anyway, so if I were you I would start by contacting them.