How to tarnish coins for school project

(2001)

I'm doing a project at school on 'How to tarnish coins' and I am just wondering if you could send me some information on how to tarnish coins. This project is due in a weeks time and could you please send me some information on how to tarnish coins a.s.a.p.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any information you can supply me with.

Danny Melki
- Sydney, New South Wales

(2001)

It will depend on what metal the coins (or the surface of the coins) are made of, Danny, but I think you will be able to tarnish them in a very hot oven or broiler easy enough. Tarnishes are generally oxides or sulphides, so you'll get fastest tarnishing in a wet or hot oxygen-rich or sulphur rich environment. So you should also be able to tarnish them by spritzing them with salt and vinegar.