Lamination of stainless steel with PTFE or FEP

(2001)

I wish to laminate a strip of 302 stainless steel with FEP or PTFE. The strip is about 0.5" wide and 0.018" thick. The teflon coat would be about 0.001" thick. I need to locate a piece of equipment or process that could laminate a whole coil on a continuous line feed. The bond needs to be extremely strong and the teflon surface scratch proof upon curing. This also has to be a relatively quick operation.

What type of surface finish would be ideal to bond teflon too?

Is there a coating method that could be used to achieve this result as well? If so, which pure PTFE or FEP grade could be used?

Deshpande
- Evanston, Illinois, USA

(2002)

I am interested in the same question. Did you get an answer yet ?

Johan Veenman
Holland - Amsterdam

(2002)

NO, I have not been able to get a response yet. I am still looking for this kind of application.

Shantanu Deshpande
- Evanston, Illinois, USA

(2002)

While I recognize that it's a very big and quite expensive project, I'd like to replace the exterior paint on my Boeing 727 with a genuinely fused coating of Teflon, to yield a much longer lasting, durable and protective finish.

So my application is roughly similar, except that my base material is either bare aircraft aluminum (7000 series alloys I believe), or aircraft aluminum with a chromate finish, the surface area is quite large, and the application will probably have to be accomplished in outdoor conditions.

Any knowledgeable help appreciated.

Bruce Campbell
- Hillsboro, OR, USA