Copper Sulphate Crystals

(2001)

What information can you give me about copper sulfate [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] crystals?

Kirsty S
- Swansea

(2001)

What information do you want, Kirsty? I can tell you that every high school chemistry book spends at least several paragraphs on it. If you are not yet in high school maybe an older sibling has one? If not, your librarian can help.

(2002)

Copper sulphate crystals are blue in color and they are used in electroplating and textile dyeing. These crystals can be given as example to the subject of water acting as a promoter of chemical reactions. Because when you treat these substances under controlled heat, the water contained in them is driven out.

Ezgi Hacisuleyman
Robert College - Istanbul, Turkey

Root Killer

(2007)

My neighbor has cut down a magnolia tree which left numerous roots. She's thinking of cutting a deep circle around the perimeter. Will this be sufficient to kill the roots so that these don't grow? I was told that if she then put copper sulphate on the roots that are left, this will eliminate them. If so, would she then be able to do gardening in that area, or will the copper phosphate kill whatever is next planted?

Ginger S. Clark
consumer - Hinesville, Georgia

(2007)

Hello, Ginger. This site is about industrial metal finishing rather than gardening, so it may not be the most productive place for your posting. But I looked this up myself in response to a previous posting and found (to my great surprise) that copper sulphate is pretty much harmless to new plantings. Patient googling should find such articles from agricultural extension services and such. Good luck.