-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry

Plating non-metallic substances

Is there a means of electro plating aluminum on wood?

Stephen Storer
Big Opera - South Pasadena, California, USA

Yes, it's possible. But that by no means should be read as meaning that it is a practical way to metallize whatever it is that you are trying to metallize.

Instead of posing your question as a vague abstraction, why not provide some real detail and get some more usable answers?

Ted Mooney, Teds signature

Thanks for the response, Ted. I'm not sure I want to "publish" the specifics of what I have in mind in this "public" forum as there are some proprietary issues involved. I just knew that there were instances of plating chrome and bronze (baby shoes) on non-metallic substances; but I didn't know if there were similar processes for plating aluminum (and then colour anodizing that surface, as well).

Stephen Storer
- South Pasadena, California

Not being in your position, I can't suggest what you should reveal and what you shouldn't, Steve. But my personal experience is that when a vague hypothetical question is posted, the chances are greater that the inquirer will misinterpret the answers than that he will correctly interpret them :-)

You might talk to Alumiplate to get a better appreciation for what is involved in the plating of aluminum and the subsequent anodizing of that plated aluminum.

Ted Mooney,

©1995-2018, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ   -   About   -  Privacy Policy