Testing of Coatings

(2001)

I would like to know exactly what does an MEK 50 double rub Test prove when used on Powder and Wet 2 Component Coatings?

Scott Jones
- Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

(2001)

Dear Scott,

MEK double rubs test the coating's resistance to solvents. The "double" means passing the cloth soaked with MEK / methyl ethyl ketone up and then down - that counts for one double rub. I think this test is OK if you want a decent gauge on the resistance, however each person will apply a different pressure on the surface, so by no way is this completely accurate. However, I think I've seen a machine that will do this that will have a uniform pressure, but that will cost some bucks.

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad