ALUMINUM CORROSION PROTECTION FROM INORGANIC ACIDS

(2001)

I am currently looking into painting large aluminum parts in order to protect them from low concentrations of corrosive inorganic acids. I know epoxy or PVC coatings would offer the necessary protection, but I am unsure if there is a combination of primer and paint which would provide permanent surface adhesion. Are there any listings of what is commercially available which would allow the painting process to be done in our plant?

Bob Goetz
East Hills, N.Y., U.S.A.

(2001)

Bob,

I do not know of any listing of paint/primer/pretreatment systems and their chemical resistance properties. There are some general list of chemical compatibilities but I suggest you contact a coatings company and ask them to recommend a coating system for aluminum that will be resistant to the concentration and mixtures of acids you expect the parts to encounter. The coatings company will generally recommend a primer if needed as well as recommend the type of surface treatment applied to the aluminum prior to the primer.

Roy Nuss
Trevose, Pennsylvania, USA

(2003)

I am interested in protecting aluminum from acid vapors emitted from automobile type batteries in a golf cart. (No, I don't add too much water to the batteries.) Thanks

Dalton Gilbert
(retired) - Granbury, Texas, USA