Sodium Hydroxide

(2001)

I have a process where the by-product is a solution that I would like to evaporate. The solution contains Sodium Hydroxide (20 - 32%), Aluminum (2 - 5%) and the rest is water. I would like to do this in a batch process of 2500 pounds of solution in 10 hours. We start at 70 °F and need to operate at 240 °F. I estimate that I would need a 1000 gallon tank to evaporate solution in order to clean out the product.

Any suggestions?

Akamm Coppadge
- Kansas

(2001)

I would try to ship it to an electroplating shop to use it for waste treatment. This way, you might get rid of it for the cost of shipping.

pooky
tom pullizi signature

(2001)

There are several methods to reduce the volume of waste. Evaporation seems to be the direction you are leaning to. There are several designs and technologies available for reaction vessels and clean-out. You also have the alternative of having the solution shipped to a recycling or re-use facility. I have dealt with several companies that would use a solution as you described in scrubber applications. It may be worth the effort to investigate all avenues.

Ira Donovan, M.S.F.
Kansas City, Missouri