"Alodine" and "Alochrome"

(2001)

Hi All,

My question is simply this. Some of my American colleagues specify an Aluminium finish called "Alodine". Is this the same finish which I would call "Alochrome". They appear to use the same number system ie. 1200 is a straw colour and I think 1000 is clear. Perhaps "Alodine" and "Alochrome" are trade names for the same process.

Jonathan Palk
- Crewe, Cheshire, England

First of two simultaneous responses -- (2001)

I frequently use Alodine, and in the different specifications I use the wording is almost always as follows "Alodine (Alocrom)1200".However I haven't ran across "Alodine(Alocrom)1000.This is usually stated just as Alodine 1000.

Perry Lambert
- Hot Springs, Arkansas

Second of two simultaneous responses -- (2001)

You are spot on. I went through the same problem. Our Purchasers were going nuts trying to buy Alodine and Alocrom. 3 years on the question still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

Ciaron Murphy
- South Wales

(2001)

"Alodine" is a trade name originated by Amchem products. The reference to "Alochrome" might be "Alchrome." "Alchrome" is a trade name by Heatbath. Both are chromate conversion products and both appear as approved products in the Qualified Products List (QPL-81706) for use in conversion coatings to U.S. spec Mil-C-5541. They're the same stuff in my opinion.

Jeff Pernick
- Detroit, Michigan, USA