Blueing-Finishing Steel Plate

(2001)

I came across a dated steel plate used to secure railroad rails to the wooden ties, and want to apply a decorative finish, ala blueing or something that will enhance and beautify this piece of metal. It will be part of an exhibition/installation I am working on regarding railroad history and memorabilia.

My initial inquiry to "Ask Jeeves" produced a number of potentially dangerous "hot blueing" methods for guns, of which I do not have the background nor resources to attempt.

Can anyone suggest a simple/safe method/chemical distributor to apply blueing or a similar finish for a piece that will be displayed outdoors for a period of 1-3 years?

I thank you greatly in advance for your consideration!

Howard Snyder
Soup Kitchen Graphics - N Royalton, Ohio, USA

(2001)

I've used a cold touch up bluing agent available from gun shops. The brand escapes me for the moment but I think that any good gun shop should have the stuff. Real easy to use but the base metal must be absolutely clean down to shiny metal. Dip or brush the blue on, results are immediate. Rinse and dry with hot air and you're done. This is not a durable blue as you might find on a factory fresh gun but it seems that it would do for your purposes.

All the best,

Andy Woitowicz
- Timmins, Ontario, CANADA