How bad are Burning chrome fumes

(2001)

I am an artist that produces furniture and sculpture from reclaimed bicycle rims. The rims are often chromed and I MIG weld the rims together or to other steel. I am curious to see what types of protection I need to avoid exposure to burning Chrome Fumes. Or, are burning chrome fumes anything I need to worry about.

Matt Cartwright
- Portland, Oregon, USA

(2001)

Hexavalent chromium in the welding fume is now recognised as dangerous.

Visit the following internet sites for more info: preview.biblioalerts.com/info/com.biblioalerts_biblioalerts_ne0Y1204.html?se=ink, www.ewi.org/njc/papers/shipyard.html

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.

Hi. Bill is correct, of course. But with concern over lead welding fumes, then over cadmium welding fumes, then over zinc welding fumes, then over chromium welding fumes, then over this additive in the welding rod, and then over that one ... I feel like we're inventing the wheel one side at a time and we're up to 6 or 7 sides.

Don't inhale welding fumes! :-)