Rust Removal from Cast Iron

(2001)

I have had a COOK'KETTLE cast iron barbeque grill for 5 years. The last year, it has become completely rusted. I've used a wire brush in an attempt to clean it, but to no avail. Is there anything that will remove the rust from the cast iron?

Susy Chrisney
- Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.

(2001)

Susy:

We have products which can be used for this, but it is probably easier for you to go to the hardware store and buy a "de-rusting" product off the shelf. We are sure that the hardware store will help you with this. You need to know, of course, that it will re-rust again over time if exposed to normal moisture and air.

lee kremer
kremer signature
Lee Kremer

(2003)

I use a Dremel to remove all the rust, then treat the iron with a very light amount of vegetable oil, put in a hot oven until the oil pools and starts to sizzle slightly, then submerge in cold water, dry with a clean rag.

Repeat process until the piece is blacken, the iron will not rust again if proper cleaning techniques are used, salt can be used to scour the iron with a damp cloth or rag, keep away from water, and humidity as much as possible.

carla wilmes
- clinton, in, usa

(2004)

Please never heat up cast iron and then submerge it in cold water- IT WILL CRACK- If you do it is pretty much toast- I have welded some small cracks or breaks but it is tricky.

Steve Wawrzynski
- NEW YORK, USA

The house we bought came complete with a wonderful smoker. Only trouble is the doors are rusting and need refinishing. My husband gave me naval jelly to remove rust after I am done scrubbing with a wire brush. My questions are: 1) Do I have to do more than remove the "loose" rust before painting, 2)If I do, is there any easier/quicker way to do the rust removal, and 3) What is the best paint to cover them with once I'm ready? Thanks!

Ann Womer
Homeowner - Wmberley, Texas