Oxide deposits on brass vase

(2001)

I am a collector. I recently acquired what is originally a large brass vase with removable cover (largest diameter 11 inches, total height 23.5 inches). It was handcrafted circa 1900 by natives of southern-most islands of the Philippines close to Borneo in the Celebes Sea. The vase was in the form of a table lamp when acquired.

It has an area, about 15% of total surface, that has bluish green deposits that I could remove by slight filing; however, since the artcraft is intricately carved, it is virtually impossible to file them away without damage, plus it will take a lot of time that I don't have. The deposits look like oxides from an acid spill (guessing here).

What is the best way to remove those deposits and restore the original metal?

To everyone who responds, thanks.

Joe Zagala
- Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

(2001)

That simply is oxidation on your vase. I don't know how sensitive or old the piece is, but I'd suggest you try "Nevr-Dull [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]",

Anahita
- San Diego, California