How do I solder titanium?

(2001)

Q. I am looking for information on working with titanium, especially how to solder it. I am a jeweler, and I am very familiar with silver soldering, but I have never worked with titanium before and I have no idea what to do with it. I have wanted to experiment with titanium for some time now, but have not found much information on this metal.

Any information on working with titanium would be very helpful.

Krista Kleban
- Denton, Texas

(2001)

A. Hello:

The only way I know of soldering Ti is to preplate it with nickel. Here comes the difficulties again because it is also hard to plate. Being a brush plater I obviously prefer this approach but it all depends on surface geometry, number of parts, area to be plated, etc. There are also other ways to electroplate by immersion and I assume they might work. Refer to a good plating consultant if brush plating does not seem feasible to you.

(2007)

A. I have found a way. I am a jeweler and a watchmaker. Here is the secret.

It's all in the flux. I use Dandix.

Next the solder is 56% silver, called Silvaloy from Silvaloy.com It's called Silvaloy 56T.

Make sure the joint is perfectly clean, and I mean CLEAN.

Joaquin Pendleton
- La Quinta, California