Lacquering a brass

(2001)

Q. Sir,

I have a lot of brass showpieces which looks good but when they are polished. After a gap of time their shines goes off and they look dull. I have heard about the technique of lacquering which preserves their shines. I want to know that how this process can be done.

Actually I want to know that how do I clean the surface first and how do I apply lacquer then. I have some polish like brasso which cleans the surface but it would not last for long.

Kindly give me some information about that.

Thanking you,

Mohnish Bedi
- Faridabad, Haryana, India

(2002)

A. For small applications Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] shall do well. It protects the surface for some time. For a permanent solution, degrease it with TCE and then get a coating of TSA clear lacquer. End of your problems. Walk down to Aligarh for a show in every house.

Jatin Aggarwal
- New Delhi