Rhodium plating for silver

(2001)

I understand that Rhodium protects silver with a tarnish proof covering but where can I obtain Rhodium for personal use? I have many pieces of jewelry, silver, and I am always cleaning them.

Thank You,

Sandy Lane
- Plainview, New York

(2006)

You MIGHT find rhodium plated onto light reflecting surfaces, and if you are lucky, some (I don't know which brand) auto headlights can be located at junkyards! Failing that, try a professional electroplating jewellery manufacturer. Good luck, and please post your findings!

Laszlo Seres
- Pickering, Ont, Canada

Rhodium Plating System

Hi, Sandy.

Rhodium plating is indeed sometimes used to make silver jewelry tarnish-resistant. You can send your pieces to a jeweler or a plating shop for rhodium plating if you wish. Rhodium plating solution is available from the site's supporting advertiser Technic, or from Amazon. But it is an electroplating solution, not a simple dip, and it's hard to remove if you do it wrong or change your mind; so if you do decide to try it, practice on some unimportant pieces first. Good luck.