Removing paint from motorcycle rims

(2001)

Q. I have a set of painted motorcycle rims that I want to polish but, it seems that the paint on the rims is very difficult to get off. I have tried airplane stripper and other such items but to no avail, I also tried to sand them which works but is a long and tedious process. Is there some sort of chemical that I can use to get this paint off.

Miles Brown
- Newark, NJ

(2001)

A. I ran into the same problem with my rims and tried the same strippers, and sanding would take a life time for all of them. I tried sand blasting with sand and it left a pitting that also needed sanding out. I finally ended up sandblasting with glass bead that left the surface smooth before I polished it out.

Nathan Mortenson
- Pacifica, California, USA

(2002)

A. I have just stripped the outer rims on my Kawaski and I used a 3M stripping tool that attaches to a electric drill. It removed the paint easy and did not mark the alloy.

Bernard Harrison
- New Zealand

(2003)

A. Try sand blasting it. It will take off all layers of the paint and also take off rust too.

Preston Tucker
- Marietta, Georgia, USA

Aircraft Stripper

(2006)

A. I've done my GXSR750 and several of my friends' bikes. It's a pain but I can almost make look chrome. have to see to believe it. I'll wash a wheel off and send you a pic. So... get a large can of "Aircraft Stripper" =>
it's some nasty stuff so make sure to get a chemical resistant protective gloves [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] b/c the stuff will burn your skin. Follow the directions and you'll have a raw rim, Only do the lip of the rim b/c the spokes have a rough finish and it looks bad. Once it's COMPLETELY rid of powder coat. Use very clean,soft cloths, Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], and a-lot of rubbing.

David Jones
- Frisco, Texas

(2006)

Q. Hi, I was wondering what is the easiest and fastest way to remove the paint off of my motorcycle rims. I read paint stripper, and airplane stripper, and that there are 3 different types of strippers. liquid, paste and gel. So which should I try.

ZACH CHAUDHRY
STUDENT - TUCSON, Arizona