Muriatic acid on stamped concrete

(2001)

I have a concrete patio pad with an exterior trim made up of stamped concrete in the appearance of red brick. The lawn of my back yard butts up to the stamped brick. Do you have a suggestion (and dilution rate) on how to clean the stamped concrete with Muriatic acid and not destroy the grass adjacent to the stamped concrete? Is there a better alternative to Muriatic acid which may be less aggressive and still clean the stamped concrete?

Jay Holthus
- Hermiston, Oregon

(2006)

I recently tried to repair the loose and broken concrete between the bricks on my brick patio. Naturally I got concrete on some of the brick and was wondering if I should use muriatic acid to take it off the brick? I tried Zep commercial which did not work. I guess a wire brush would work.

Edward W kelly
retired homeowner - Colonial Hgts, Virginia

(2006)

It would have been better to wash up immediately. Yes, muriatic acid attacks mortar and concrete quicker than it attacks brick, and is therefore sometimes used to clean mortar off of brick. It's quite dangerous stuff to use, but it can be done.

It cannot be used as a "cleaner", though -- it doesn't remove dirt and grease and other soils, and it will attack stamped concrete regardless of whether the stamping makes the concrete look like brick or stone.