Welding and annealing temp. of titanium

(2001)

I would like to know the welding and annealing temp. of titanium sheets. We are manufacturing titanium pipes. After annealing how to remove the black coating? and bring back the original finish of titanium?

Suresh Agarwal
- Delhi, India

(2001)

I don't think your titanium should be black after annealing. Check the oven. And make sure that the parts are clean before going in the oven.

Mark Camilleri
- Malta

(2001)

You need clean parts and a vacuum furnace or an inert atmosphere furnace, otherwise it will oxidize to some level of purple depending on time / temp.

(2002)

Just found this website. Interesting. I use titanium in my jewelry work. I anodise pieces to required colour, but, I don't know how to make it BLACK. Seems like some people complain about this colored oxidation. I won't. Can anyone offer some solution to this? Utilizing basic metal smiths workshop equipment where no hi-tech equipment is available.

Roman Kielczewski
- Adelaide, AUSTRALIA