World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Cleaning gold plated tea service

2001

Q. I hope that this is a question that, once answered, will be useful to others. I have a gold-plated tea service. With what can I clean the pieces tray (engraved) without harming the plating but without causing a toxic or allergic reaction once the set is used?

Leah Magid
- Marquette, Michigan, United States

2002

Q. I would also like to know the proper way to clean and polish a gold plated tea service. I borrowed an older gold plated tea service from an elderly friend, and mistakingly tried to polish it with Wright's Silver Cream [paid link to product info at Amazon]. The cream took some of the gold plated finish off (the pieces that I polished have considerably less gold luster than the ones I did not) and I need to find out either where to get it replated if possible. For future reference, what is the proper way to care for gold plated items such as these pieces? I need information ASAP before I return the tea set to my friend. Thanks.

Bonnie Agee
- Birmingham, Alabama

Q. I tried cleaning my gold plated tea serving set and some of the gold came off.
What can I clean the Tea Set with without removing the gold?

Alvado

Alvado Rahming
- Nassau, Bahamas

A. Hello Alvado,
You didn't mention what you used to clean the tea set with. Have you tried using a jewelry cleaning cloth?

Electronic Plating - Winston Salem, North Carolina USA

A. Gold plated silver or copper/copper alloy? If your set is gold plated copper or copper alloy try ammonium citrate (5% pH 9), if it is gold plated silver then try aluminum foil (or aluminum sheet or old aluminum pot) and hot baking soda solution. In case of gold plated stainless steel try 47,5 g citric acid/47,5 g sodium gluconate/4,9 g tartaric acid/0.1 g non ionic surfacant/ 1 lit water solution ... Hope it helps and good luck!

- Zagreb,Croatia