Cleaning gold plated tea service

(2001)

I hope that this is a question that, once answered, will be useful to others. I have a gold-plated tea service. With what can I clean the pieces tray (engraved) without harming the plating but without causing a toxic or allergic reaction once the set is used?

Leah Magid
- Marquette, Michigan, United States

(2002)

I would also like to know the proper way to clean and polish a gold plated tea service. I borrowed an older gold plated tea service from an elderly friend, and mistakingly tried to polish it with Wright's Silver Cream [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. The cream took some of the gold plated finish off (the pieces that I polished have considerably less gold luster than the ones I did not) and I need to find out either where to get it replated if possible. For future reference, what is the proper way to care for gold plated items such as these pieces? I need information ASAP before I return the tea set to my friend. Thanks.

Bonnie Agee
- Birmingham, Alabama