Alternatives to rhodium plating

2001

This is a technical question about rhodium plating. I am presently using rhodium over nickel over copper-clad fiberglass (G10) material. These units are being used for slip rings for military purposes. Silver-graphite brushes contact these units in order to produce a rotating electrical conductor. I have no problem with these units except that the rhodium plating process is getting more and more expensive. I do not know if this is due to the material costs or that fewer places are plating with rhodium.

Do you have any knowledge or can you point me in the right direction about hardened silver or gold surfaces that might be easier and less expensive to plate?

Robert M
- Northridge, California , USA

2007

Rhodium is often, say, 10x the cost of gold. Maybe palladium will meets your needs and it is, say, half the price of gold.