What happens if electrodes touch?

(2001)

In my 9th grade science class we did a lab on electroplating. I was wondering, while electroplating, if the electrodes touch each other what would happen?

Jasmine Baker
- Houston ,Texas

(2001)

What would happen is not unique to electroplating, but is similar to any situation where you have an electrical short circuit. If the parts touch, you have 'shorted out' the load and created a 'short circuit'. You have power available from your battery, but no load through which it must flow. Have you learned Ohm's Law yet? It's I=V/R. As R approaches 0, I (the current) approaches infinity. Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature