Nickel brightener information needed

(2001)

Greetings:

I have been plating in a small set-up for quite a while now.(4 gal.)My nickel bath is the basic Watts bath.(38oz nickel sulfate,7oz nickel chloride, and 4.8oz boric acid.) I would like to use a nickel brightener in my bath so I don't have to buff so much. My coat is smooth now but is a dove grey usually after plating. I know these are proprietary formulas (and secrets!).

If anyone could help me on the amount and the make up for a 4 gallon bath it would be very much appreciated.

Tom Hans
T & S Wood products - USA

(2001)

Tom,

"Volume 5, "Surface Engineering" of ASM's Metals Handbook summarizes the theory of nickel brightening and addition agents, and explains the generic ingredients that historically were used. These may prove sufficient for a 4-gallon bath. I guess the part that I didn't understand about your letter is why you don't just buy the proprietaries instead of having to mess around with those somewhat old fashioned generic brighteners. Good luck!