Kind of lacquer for masking parts for hard chrome

(2001)

Q. Dear sirs:

I would appreciate if someone can indicate me what kind of lacquer I can use to mask parts before they are hard chrome plated. Also what kind of pigment I must add to it to give it a colour in order to visually inspect the application before the chrome process.

Thanks in advance.

Oscar Infante
- Santiago, Chile

(2001)

A. Dear Oscar,

These masking lacquers are usually called "stop-off" lacquers. They are usually nitrocellulose based, and a little thicker than spraying viscosities. You can mill any pigment you want, most common I see are orange and green. If you don't want any color, you can add an ultra-violet pigment, and inspect the coating under a UV light.

Good luck

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad

(2001)

Q. Dear Jake:

Thanks very much for your advise, only one question, by nitro lacquer you mean the kind that are usually applied over wood?

Oscar Infante
- Santiago, Chile

(2001)

A. Hello Oscar,

Yes, many wood lacquers are made from nitrocellulose, as well as many metal lacquers. This is a cheaper coating to make, you might be able to use a wood lacquer to stop the conductivity on your piece, just need to make sure it adheres well to the metal.

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas & Co., Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois

Q. Whether this nitrocellulose lacquer will withstand the plating temp 50 to 60 deg C and long duration of plating(almost 8 to 10 hrs)?

Shrikant Nigade
- Mumbai, India

RFQ: I need supplier of this lacquer available in South India.
Please contact.
It will very much useful for me.
Sakthi

Sakthivel
- Coimbatore , Tamilnadu india