Brass Cleaner/Restorer

2001

I restore antique clocks. I am looking for a brass cleaner other than Brasso [affil. link to product info on Amazon] to use. Anybody out there know of a cleaner that works better/easier than Brasso?

August Wageman
- Monroe, North Carolina

2001

We have a product that should do the job. Visit our website for details or send me an e-mail.

Bill Coffie
Warren, Michigan

2002

Were you successful in finding something better than BRASSO? If so, would be interested in learning what and how well it worked.

Court Ross
- Norwalk, Connecticut, USA

2004

You can use ammonia(25%)/citric acid mixture(5o gm citric acid/1 lit water+ammonia to pH 9)!

2005

A friend of mine recommended a product called Flitz [affil. link to product info on Amazon]. I used it to clean brass trim on some furniture and it worked great.

Julie Smith
- Charlotte, North Carolina

There are plenty of polishes that are better in some way than Brasso, but it is a highly reputable product and, as such, there is nothing that is "better" unless you specify in what way. It's like asking for a better vehicle than a Prius or a better beverage than Beefeater gin :-)

I have found no polish that gives as warm and rich a glow to copper and brass as Brasso [affil. link to product info on Amazon], for example, but there are many polishes that are faster. Revere copper cleaner [affil. link to product info on Amazon] is fast as lightning without leaving that pink or salmon color you get from acid products like vinegar & salt.