Recoating NiTi Eyeglass Frames?

(2001)

I have a pair of eyeglass frames that are made of NiTiNOL (Nickel-Titanium) that were factory painted. I say painted because the finish is flaking off just like paint (not wearing like anodising) and I can see that the layer under the top coat of opaque black is another color option for these frames, smoke grey.

I don't want to buy a new set of frames (these are expensive...) and have been thinking of stripping the paint off. The base color is a bright gold, which I think is not the natural color of the material.

I'd like to end up with black frames. Any advice? They are flexible, so any coating I apply needs to handle that, and be very resistant to my apparently corrosive skin oils.

Charles Tomes
- Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA