Adhesion Quality of The Chrome Layer

(2001)

Hello there,

I want to ask if it is possible to use lacquer on zinc plated/yellow chromatized parts. Those parts weren't post-treated after the chromatizing process, my question is: can I paint them with the lacquer? and if I did, how good the adhesion quality I will get?. Is it preferred to use the lacquer on the zinc layer directly? The bath used in zinc plating is an acidic bath.

Abdullah Ali
- Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

(2001)

I think a lacquer will adhere well to your zinc yellow plating. It will probably be best to try putting the lacquer on after the chromate. The chromate helps extend the life of the plating and does promote adhesion in most cases.

You should contact a chemical vendor that sells lacquers. These vendors should have technical expertise with their product and will be able to tell you if they think it will work. You can probably get some free testing done to see if it will work.

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan