Preventing Corrosion on Outdoor Spiral Stairs

2001

I want the most durable spiral outdoor stairs for the Michigan Environment. Please suggest what choice I can used to prevent the rust and degradation on outdoor metal stairs.

Remembering that I want the least expensive solution which will prevent the rusting in our climate.

It must be painted Black

Should I:

Buy Steel stairs and galvanize and then paint them
Buy Aluminum stairs, painted

Please advise me....this is very important since I have seen many rusted stairs here. I have even seen aluminum with what I think is white corrosion....maybe even worse since it is so visible with the black paint.

Chris Petersen
Heart of the Home - Northville, Michigan, USA

2003

The best option in a corrosive environment is to galvanize and powder coat black second best is to double powdercoat using a zinc rich primer under the finish. Either way should give you many years of trouble free use.

Rick Baird
- Cass Lake, Minnesota, USA

adv.   accurate anodizing banner