Black Anodising and Chrome Conversion Difference for Radiation

(2001)

I want to know the difference between 'Black Anodizing' and 'Chrome conversion' (after zinc plating) on aluminium heat sinks as regards the radiation heat transfer properties and overall heat transfer in case of natural convection cooling.

Harish Jagadish
Tyco Electronics Power Systems - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

(2001)

Maybe somebody out there has an answer for you. My suggestion would be to place two parts you mention side-by-side, attach thermocouples at the same place on each part and find out which cools faster from an elevated temperature under exact same ambient conditions.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

(2001)

Thanks for the advice.

The reason I asked the question was because I don't have the processed heat sinks, but want to find out which process to go for. I also want to know if there are any environment related issues with either of the processes.

Harish Jagadish
Tyco Electronics Power Systems - Bangalore, KA, India