Fiberglass Helmet Chroming

(2001)

How do I go about chroming fiberglass helmets. I want to do this myself so I can custom paint them afterwards. There is a place in Michigan that does it but I would like information on doing it myself.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Carl A. Armstrong
- Kokomo, IN, USA

DVD: Erin Brockovich

(2001)

Carl,

To plate a material with chrome, it must have a surface that will conduct electricity. I think this is usually done by initially depositing a layer of electroless nickel on the fiberglass. Electroless nickel uses a chemical activation for the deposition and does not require electricity to plate the nickel. The chrome is electroplated over the nickel substrate.

Chrome plating is not something for the do-it-yourselfer. The chemicals required are toxic (remember Erin Brockovitch) and their use is controlled by the EPA in your country. My advice is if you have found a job shop that can do the work, leave it to the pros.

Don Piett
- Thompson, Manitoba, Canada

(2001)

The process you want is not traditional chrome 'dipping', as you would a bumper. It's called 'vacuum metallizing', and there are lots of places around the country that do it.

Good luck,

Anthony Chan
- La Mirada, California