Aluminum Corrosion in Presence of Nickel

(2001)

I have a large mild steel part that will be in contact with smaller, complex shaped aluminum parts in water. I intend to hard anodize the 6063-T6 aluminum parts, but I still need to coat the steel somehow. It provides a critical sealing surface, so paints or powder coats that could chip are out. I am considering electroless nickel plating the steel, but I'm concerned about galvanic corrosion of the aluminum.

What can I expect from the aluminum? Will the hard anodizing protect it sufficiently?

Is zinc plating a realistic option for the steel if I want a life span of 10 yrs?

Any other suggestions?

Eric Reeves
- Spokane, Washington, USA

First of two simultaneous responses-- (2001)

Why don't you electroplate the steel with aluminum? I work for a company called Alumiplate and that is what we do.

Ted Jason
- Coon Rapids, Minnesota, United States

Second of two simultaneous responses-- (2001)

Plating the steel parts with aluminum takes care of the contact corrosion problem with the other aluminum parts. AlumiPlate, Inc. in Minneapolis is the only company in the US offering this kind of plating today.

Juergen Fischer
- Minneapolis, Minnesota