Nicasil Plating

(2001)

I am interested in the process of plating small engine cylinders with a plating known as nicasil. I have not found anyone who does this in my area and am interested in doing it. I would appreciate it if you could inform me in what is involved and if it could be done on a small scale ?

Jeff Lasko
- Edson, Alberta, Canada

(2007)

Nickel silicon carbide plating is done by U.S. Chrome of Wisconsin if you are seeking a source. In general it is hard to do plating on a small scale because of the burden of regulatory compliance. In the USA, electroplating was the very first enterprise that the EPA "categorically regulated".

This is not to say that you can't do it, but there is a lot to learn about the regulations before you make a decision. Good luck.