Stripping Silver-Plating from Nickel-Silver

2001

The silver plating is flaking from a tube shaped part made of nickel-silver.

Ultimately I would like a gold finish. Am I correct that the best (tarnish resistant if possible) procedure is to electrostrip the silver plating, mechanically polish the nickel-silver tube, nickel plate the tube, and then gold plate it?

My major concern is the stripping procedure - I'm not sure how to effectively remove the silver plating and activate the underlying metal. I'm also concerned that I might get an uneven coat if I brush plate the long tube, about two feet with a diameter of about an inch and a half.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe Cascio
- Holtsville, New York