Help Regarding Permakote

(2001)

I had Permakote applied to my roof in July of 2000. I had had several problems with leaking after reshingling. The brochure for Permakote advertises "waterproofing" in approximately 15 places. However, I have written seven letters since then about severe leakage following rain and snow melt. Once it was inspected by the contractor; then he applied a second coat on one side.

Following snow melt and rain two days ago, I have water running down walls, through light fixtures and door frames, and 20 new stains on my room plus the others that are holding water from November on.

The company says they only guarantee it not to crack, peel, or chip; they don't guarantee waterproofing. The contractor insists I have a condensation problem and besides I had leaks before, so what did I expect. I guess I expected waterproofing to do that.

I would appreciate information from anyone who has worked with a Permakote contractor or is a Permakote contractor or a general contractor who might have some general information to share with me regarding this product and its application.

Jacqueline Gerenz
- Custer, SD, USA

(2001)

Sorry, I am not familiar with Permakote. What I am familiar with, though, is that a properly designed roof doesn't leak unless the shingles are decades old and hopeless, whereas an improperly designed roof will leak in very short order whatever you plug the low spots with.

Let's start with why doesn't the water just rapidly run off? A roof that looks like an A doesn't leak; a roof that looks like a V does. An area where a wall or dormer meets the roof line, looking like a sans-sarif L, requires metal flashing (sheet metal that goes under the siding and under the shingles. Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature