Platinum or White Gold?

2001

In the year that we were engaged, I had no problems with my platinum engagement ring. Within three months of being married and moving to our new home, the tines on my platinum ring are tarnishing, making the diamond look discolored. I have consulted several jewelers who have given mixed feedback. The most likely case is that our water is tarnishing the tines and they insist that while the band is platinum, the tines are likely white gold. Can platinum tarnish too or did we get sold a platinum ring with white gold tines?

Susan Petterson
- Oakland, MI, USA

2002

Platinum does not tarnish if you are having problems with discolor I would take it back and ask them to replace it. Or take them to small claims court. Those are the only two opp- that I would give them in 14 years of being a goldsmith I have yet had a plat- piece tarnish. Hope that this helps you out.

Micheal Engles
Micheal Custom Designs - Sioux Falls, SD, USA