Removing Chrome Plating from 1954 Ford Parts

2001

I am rebuilding a 1954 Ford car. I want to strip the chrome plating from the bumpers and die-cast metal badges.

There are some serious dings, pitting and scratches that I want to grind and buff out before having it replated.

Is there any way I can remove the plating at home, or must it be done in the reverse fashion of plating?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Johnson
- Barstow, California

Dave....I had the same question as you and found this on a blog. Hope this helps.

" . . . The chrome stripper requires power; the nickel stripper does not. Both are metal specific and won't strip anything else (chrome stripper strips chrome only, etc). Neither will take off the copper plate that is present under most triple chromed parts, so if you want to take all the plating off, down to the base, the best best is to blast it off. . ."

Tony Bracci
- Colorado Springs, Colorado