Titanium Tumbling

2001

I would like to know how to apply a small radius on cylindrical titanium pieces. The pieces are very small. The outer diameter is ~0.02770 inches and the length of these pieces are approx. 0.0468 inches. I will be tumbling a large amount ~18000.

Carlo Coppola
- Montreal, Canada

2001

Other than deburr these parts, you did not mention anything about the surface finish; therefore, I'll take a guess and say that you need only to remove an outside burr. If this is the case, I think the simplest idea is to run part on part without any media. Let the parts work themselves. If there is some concern about damage to one another, you can add pumice to the batch, provided there are no inside dimensions for this material to get stuck. This will get you a dull appearance. If you need a bright low RMS finish, you can add a fine organic materials to the process instead of the pumice roughly in a 5:1 parts to media ratio or greater if you are still concerned with surface finish.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania