How Do I Safely Remove "White Rust" From Hot Dip Galvanized Steel

(2001)

I saw a series of messages on this site concerning corrosion of hot-dipped galvanized steel. We have a very similar problem on stamping blanks and some stamped parts that were improperly stored and developed white rust.

My question is, what is the best method of removing the rust without removing the galvanized surface? I saw one letter that recommended the use of a 5% phosphoric acid bath. Is that the best method?

Mike Wood
stamping - Maumee, Ohio, USA

(2001)

There is some good information on white rust formation, prevention and correction at this web site

www.galvanizeit.org/publications/t-wss-97.htm [Ed. note: that site has been rearranged since this posting and the specified URL no longer works]

larry hanke
Larry Hanke
materials testing laboratory
Minneapolis, Minnesota