Color Finishing Stainless Steel

adv.  b&m finishers banner

(2001)

I am dabbling in making stainless steel jewelry. I note in one of the posts on this site that "anodizing of stainless" is possible. Anyone out there that can supply me with information on this process? OR...anyone know of a process that will give a permanent black finish to stainless?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bill Helmke
Fore 'N Aft Marine - New Orleans, Louisiana

(2002)

Try oxidation, I think Oxalic Acid [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] blackens stainless, try a search on instablack.

Geoff Noll
- Aus

Ed. note: Instablack is available from EPI (Electrochemical Products Inc.) [a finishing.com supporting advertiser].

(2004)

letter 7276 is something for you.

A. I have used liver of sulfur on sterling silver and gotten a blackened finish. You might want to try that.

Rebecca Love
- California