Nickel Used on Old Piano Hardware

(2001)

I sure have learned a great deal reading this forum. Thanks folks!

What nickel was used on piano hardware (pedals, hinges, screws) in the early 1900s? The bright nickel I've been using looks a little cold compared to what I see on the old parts. I'm comparing it to parts from the inside that haven't oxidized much so I don't think It's just that. Is there anything I could do besides backing off on the brighteners or altering surface prep to match the old nickel if indeed it's different?

Richard Anderson
Anderson Piano Service - Elgin, IL,USA

Hi Richard. My understanding is that no brighteners were used at all, and the parts were hand buffed to whatever degree of brightness you see. Good luck.