Why Does Silver Tarnish?

3M Silver Protector Strips

(2001)

What makes silver candlesticks in my house in London tarnish when they are kept out on the dining room table? When I keep them in a small cupboard with anti tarnishing strips of paper made by 3Ms why/how do these strips work?

Simon Watson
- London, England

I have been wearing silver jewelry all my life. The jewelry only tarnishes when I have not used it for a while. Last week I notice that the pendant on my necklace, my ring, and my bracelet had turned black. Was it something I ate? or didn't eat? That had not happened before. I would love to know the reason for this. Thank you very much.

Clara Katayama
- Park Ridge, Illinois